Monday, September 7, 2009

Back to Work

Well, after a very quick 15 days enjoying family and friends, I am back to work in Iraq. The flight to the US to begin the vacation took forever and included a 16 hour stop in Leipzig, Germany because the plane broke. The crew was great and the pilot announced when we had hit US airspace; what a moment. We hit DFW about 10:15pm and were met by cheering and clapping passengers as we walked through the terminal; it was all very emotional and re-energizes the spirit that the average American supports us, even if they disagree with the current policies.

Vacation was awesome and I very quickly started in on my "Honey-Do" list that included fixing the fence where the new addition to the family, Tucker, had been snacking. Tucker was fun and certaintly full of energy and I think that he and I will become best buds.

It has been five days since I left home and jet lag is still killing me. Thankfully, I did not have any issues while I was at home, but last night, my first night here, I went down about 8:15pm and did not see the outside until about 12:15pm. Tonight, I am a little better, I went down about 9:45 and it is now 2:30am and I am wide awake writing this blog. I know all this will pass, but it sure is annoying.

On the flight back to the US, I was sure to write all of the times down to keep a good log, but on the way back, none of that seemed important. On the flight back, everyone seemed very somber and whenever the oportunity hit, we all just went to sleep. Once I get firmly back into my routine, I will post some pictures that I took on the flight over.

I have the best family and I want to thank all of them for a great two weeks. While I was home, Household 6 put on a little gathering that was just amazing. She most certaintly has the party organizing gene and nobody does it better. I would be very remiss, if I did not say thanks to H6's Aunt Nancy for special signs and decorations. Additionally, we had some out of town visitors; my Mom and Doug came in from NJ, my Brother and Sherryl came in from Plano, H6's parents, Cassie and JB came in from OK, and Cheryl and Mike came in from Austin. I want to take this opportunity to thank everybody and especially those that traveled. What a terrific group of people.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you could take a Tylenol PM or some Simply Sleep to help you sleep through. Go talk to the doc. We really enjoyed the visit, even though it flew by and was really a blur. Can't wait till January!

    ReplyDelete