Friday, February 13, 2009

Normal Day

Some of you may be wondering what a normal day or week is like over here. Well, first let me say that nothing is normal, but most days I get up at 0600 in order to use the phone and catch up on the morning news. I try and get in and out of the shower before 0730 and then it is off to breakfast which is about 500 yards in one direction. After breakfast, it is off to the office, about 500 yards in the opposite direction, where I try to sit down and read email and catch up on the night's events.

During the morning, I am going here and there addressing one problem or another and about 1200, it is time for lunch. Now that we are getting settled into a routine, I take some time after lunch for me. This might be going to the gym, shopping at the PX or something else. Late in the afternoon, there is a daily meeting where I have to be. After that, we huddle with the team and then it is off to dinner. After dinner, depending on what time it is, I will either go back to work, or head home.

This is the schedule for everyday. We will eventually institute a day off program as well as four day passes to various places. Sunday is the only exception to this routine and on Sunday, I sleep in, clean my room, strip the sheets and do general housekeeping chores.

Do not confuse my script with the fact that this is still a very dangerous place and although we live in relative safety here, there are ever present reminders that there are bad guys out there. Also, here at the headquarters, life is relatively good with private rooms, hot showers, good food, PX, etc andwe are not out and about living in the city. I have the opportnity to go out and visit them and I am very thankful for what I have.

They are the Soldiers that are sitting on the wall keeping us safe in here. These Soldiers live and work along side the Iraqi Army and Iraqi Police and they are the ones making the biggest impact.

Once again, thank you all for everything and if you have any questions, please let me know.

1 comment:

  1. No matter who is doing the hard job and sitting on the wall protecting everything, we are proud of you. We love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete